Buying MBP and don't want to screw up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 2.93ghz quad core, iPhone 4, iPad 16gb wifi
Alright I'm on the verge of making what I think is going to be a very good decision. In a perfect world money would be no object concerning this purchase, but it is so I don't want to make a mistake. Here are some of my questions about these awesome macbooks:

1. Do I need the faster processer (i5 or i7 in the 15 inch model) or can I get by with the core 2 due in the 13inch? I will be editing HD video (Canon avchd) and doing moderate photo editing in PS. My old HP had a similar processor and it bogged down while editing video.

2. Is the Hi Res and matte display worth the extra money?

3. Is the One to One thingy worth the money.

4. How long will it be before we see those SSDs come down in price? I can't see paying for one now, but I also don't want my MBP to become antiquated a few months after I buy it. Also is this a reasonable DIY upgrade down the road?

5. I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?

6. Why can't these things be just a little bit less expensive???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
5. I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?

Yes, that qualifies you. No, it's not significant. You have to show a pay stub or other proof of employment with the school district. If you have insurance through work, your card will do also.

If you're not buying at an Apple Store, I'm not sure you will get the discount on the spot, or how that works. If you buy through a catalog, the prices are usually just as good as the edu discount, but then you give that back in shipping charges. (Last time I took the ED was 2-1/2 years ago.)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You get what you pay for. Discount is probably on a percentage. Students get like 5% discount I think? Or 100 dollars off depending on the model.

SSD is still in development, it's not coming down in price any time soon. It's pretty much the same thing as a HDD when it comes to DIY upgrading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a teacher so I think I qualify for an education discount. Is this significant and how do I make sure to take advantage of it?

Also check with your local teacher's union to see if they have a buying agreement with Apple. Most unions have buying agreements with large suppliers. Those discounts will amount to more than what you'll receive from the normal educational discount.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
1. Do I need the faster processer (i5 or i7 in the 15 inch model) or can I get by with the core 2 due in the 13inch? I will be editing HD video (Canon avchd) and doing moderate photo editing in PS. My old HP had a similar processor and it bogged down while editing video.

A faster processor will be beneficial to video editing. It all depends on the performance you are willing to tolerate. It can be done on a slower computer but it will be slower.

It's like going from 0 to 60 in a car. Any car can do that but how fast it does so depends on what you want. A Ferrari engine can do it much faster while an economy car will do it much slower. The reason why most people upgrade their computers is because their current processor is too slow for their liking. Just like everything else in life if you want faster performance then you have to pay for it. ;) Usually video editing does require quite a bit of processing power to be done quickly and even more so if you are multitasking.

2. Is the Hi Res and matte display worth the extra money?
It is if you get a lot of glare/reflections and it bothers you. That's a rather personal preference and a question only you can really answer. If you use your laptop outside of your house a lot then you will probably get a lot of glare/reflections.

6. Why can't these things be just a little bit less expensive???
You are not the only one wishing for that. ;) Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Reaction score
I also just bought a mbp 990. Machine stability is very good, I also bought a ipad, ipad case, Apple's products better and better, I really like

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD

Here in the UK it depends on whether your a teacher in school, college or a lecturer in Uni. I'm a student in uni and I can get about 100 pounds off the standard macbook however for school and college its considerably less.

Check out the Apple Education Store for the country you live in for more details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The reason why most people upgrade their computers is because their current processor is too slow for their liking.

You would think so, but it's not true. Most people are upgrading their computers "upgrading" because they got a virus and it's going to cost 250 bucks to get it off, so we might as well just get a new computer.

The corporate machine at work.

OP - make sure you know what youre talking about, too, because a dual core Pentium (intel also) isn't nearly as quality as a core 2 duo, and clock speed alone doesn't tell the whole story. The C2D has a 3MB cache on the chip while the DC Pentium has a 1MB cache. The FSB varies too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies...I'm still unsure about the Hi Res monitor. I don't think I need the matte, but can I still get the hi res in glossy? I do a lot of video work and would like to have the highest resolution monitor possible. Is the difference between glossy and Hi res glossy worth the $100? I'm already stretching my meager budget by buying this computer so I want to make sure this upgrade is worth it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the replies...I'm still unsure about the Hi Res monitor. I don't think I need the matte, but can I still get the hi res in glossy? I do a lot of video work and would like to have the highest resolution monitor possible. Is the difference between glossy and Hi res glossy worth the $100? I'm already stretching my meager budget by buying this computer so I want to make sure this upgrade is worth it.

Entirely subjective. Some like it, some don't. Go check it out and see which you prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You would think so, but it's not true. Most people are upgrading their computers "upgrading" because they got a virus and it's going to cost 250 bucks to get it off, so we might as well just get a new computer.
I was mostly talking about within the Mac community were there isn't really a large concern about viruses. I can see your point when it comes to Windows computers. ;)

If this problem is that important to you then I agree with cwa107. You should go to a store and see one for yourself. That is one of the downsides of internet buying. You don't get to see and test out the product before buying. It will also answer your glare vs matte problem when seeing it in person.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The closest Apple store is not close...I do have a BestBuy nearby, but they don't have the different models displayed. I'm just gonna suck it up and get the hi res glossy. I'm on the Apple site now and it looks like that is an option. God these machines are expensive...I'm fed up with my Gateway and HP though so I'm excited to make the switch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
I'll give you the quick answers to those question. I just purchased a MBP last year.

1. You don't need the faster processor, but why not get it? My philosophy has always been to buy the most computer you can afford. It will last longer and work faster which to me is worth the extra $. The model I purchased last year has the Core 2 duo 2.8 Ghz and it's very fast. I do video and photo editing and I have no complaints.

2. I have the matte display and I'm very happy I got it. If you ever (and I mean ever) work in brightly lit situation or outdoors you'll be happy you got it. I'd love to have the hi res as well it wasn't available when I got mine but thankfully the matte display was.

3. I did not get the one to one, honestly, you should only get that if you live very close to an Apple store and even then you really don't need it. You can go the Apple website and get every tutorial you can imagine to do just about anything you want or you can come here to ask questions. But, you should get the extended warranty.

4. No idea on the SSD prices but, I got the upgraded 500 GB HD for mine. I'm very pleased with the performance on it.

5. If you're a teacher you absolutely qualify for the discount. Heck, I got the discount just because my daughter is a student.

6. You get what you pay for. Sorry but that's just the way it is. If you really compare the components and features that you get on a MBP to a comparable equipped Dell or HP you'll find that they're not that much more expensive.

Bottom line, if you get a MBP you will not be disappointed no matter what you choose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.