Logitech and Google bringing you Google TV

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Integrating the web with satellite and cable service.

Quick vid here:

Introducing Google TV

Sorry, but says it's for the U.S. only initially

Guess I'm slow on this news, maybe all you guys knew about it already.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Interesting concept. This might just be what the doctor ordered to finally get the 'set top box' to take off.

Google is really knocking the ball out of the park lately.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Got an e-mail from Logitech about this earlier today. The info on the site seemed a bit cryptic with a hint that there was more to come. No one seems to have made the set-top box work the way consumers want yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Based upon the video clip, I don't find Google TV to be anything except for a web browser hooked up to a tv, which is absolutely nothing different (and is worse in fact) than me hooking up my MacBook Pro via HDMI to my flat screen.

I don't get it, sorry. There doesn't seem to be any dedicated programming content which would make the device unique amongst the myriad devices which already do what this is doing. I've seen people complain about Apple TV, but if Apple TV connects to the iTunes Store™, which DOES have dedicated content such as full HD movies and broadcast network tv shows, how can that not be better right off the bat ? I personally don't use iTunes or Apple TV, but it just seems logical.

Furthermore, if you hook up your MacBook or MBP to your TV and have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you can do a million things more than what you can do with a proprietary set top box such as Google/Logitech box OR Apple TV.

So... what's the point ? What am I missing here ?

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.