Problem Saving Large File

Reaction score
I've been having problems trying to backup a 5.86 GB file on any type of external drive from an iMac running MacOS-X Snow Leopard. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not very computer savvy. When I'm trying to transfer the file, it stops midway and this is the error message that I get word-for-word:

Failed Backup: mysqldump:
Got errno27 on write: This
backup is incomplete. It is
recommended that you create
a new backup.

Hopefully someone will have an idea about what I can do to solve this problem. I would really appreciate a response in layman's "dummies" terms.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How are you trying to back it up? Are you using an application or just copying the file using finder?

The problem is most likely the way your external is formatted.

Connect it to your mac and open Disk Utility. Click on your external drive on the left pane of the disk utility window and the panel at the bottom will give you info about the disk. What does it say next to Format ?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Most likely FAT32. It has a 4GB limit on files that can be copied onto the disk.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

I am trying to back it up directly from MacPractice to the flash drive. When I look in Disk Utilities next to Format it says: MS-DOS (FAT 32).

CrimsonRequiem, is there any way around that 4GB limit? I have read through a google search that you can reformat (supposedly a pain in the butt) or you can download a program that will basically break your file up into smaller parts so that you can put them on your external and then put them all back together somehow (also sounds like a PITB)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If it's just going to be used purely on Macs then just format the drive (in Disk Utility) to one on the Mac formats. They all handle 4gb+ file sizes.

If you need to keep Mac & Windows compatibility then you'll need to format to NTFS.

The simplest way is to format the drive with NTFS is on the windows machine then use NTFS Mounter to enable writing to NTFS in Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.