mouse and keyboard freezing

Reaction score
Hi!

Recently a problem with my macbook pro started
(2.33 Ghz, 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

Every now and then the mouse and keyboard is freezing for between 15-60 seconds before it kicks up again. It often starts with the fan is increasing. If Im on the internet for example and there are some moving content on the website that still moves so the whole computer doesnt seem to freeze. If Im listening to music through for example spotify the music works a maybe 10 seconds more (probably whats buffered on spotify)

summon it up:

symptoms:
- happens often in the same time as the fan is increasing
- mouse and keyboard freezing
- moving internet content still moves
- spotify works 10 seconds more.

what I have tried:

- opened up the macbook and cleaned it from dust
- lifted up the mac (if it should be a heating problem) so air can pass underneath
- used onyx to fix the mac

Other information:
- the temperature on the CPU is around 60 but sometimes up to maximum 90 degrees
- I installed last summer a memory so increased the ram from 2 to 3 GB. but it worked without any problems until recently

any guess what it can be?
or suggestions to solve it?

/ Perik

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you did some good trouble shooting. Freezing or hesitation can be attributed to either bad hardware or software. The first thing would be to try to run the system as clean as you can without any background processes.

Also, is it only your mouse and keyboard that freezes? No video or graphic freezing otherwise? What concerns me is the fans are speeding up when that happens which could indicate a graphics processor (GPU) problem.

What I suggest for now is to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if anything is flagged. Use the extended tests.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Also, is it only your mouse and keyboard that freezes? No video or graphic freezing otherwise? What concerns me is the fans are speeding up when that happens which could indicate a graphics processor (GPU) problem.
Just seems be the mouse and keyboard. for example internet stuff continues to flash. but the sound dies after a while
What I suggest for now is to run the Apple Hardware Test
This computer falls apart. I had problems with the DVD as well. It reads well but doesnt burn and when I run the install disc to run the hardware test it suddenly crashed on startup. I tried again with the sam problem. It might be that its a friends Install disc. Not the original one (its lost somewhere :( )

can it be because of this or is it because my DVD you think?

Someone told me that it could be
the most likely scenario is your hard drive is in the early stages of failure. The drive motor is likely failing, and is generating more heat as it tries to get the platters moving again. This causes the fans to kick on, and it's largely coincidental that this is when you notice the symptoms.

what do you think? can it be the harddrive?
how do I know this? anyway to tell? i have no warranty left and the macbook is not exactly brand new but from 2008 or 2007. not sure cause bought it second hand but almost unused. how much is it for a new drive?

A bit boring to buying a new drive if the problem still there. anyway to tell?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums!

To check your hard drive, boot from the install disc, hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes, go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk, If all is well do as chscag suggests running Apple Hardware Test from disc one of the original install discs, pop disc in, reboot and hold down 'D' key. Choose to run the full or extended test.

Saw this on Mactalk so saves responding twice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.