Problem with network share and file copy

Reaction score
First off I apologize if this is a redundant or basic question but I'm stumped. I have two machines running 10.6.3 that can't copy locally created files to a network share. The share is running on a Linux machine, the Mac can create files and directories all day long on the share but as soon as I create a file or try to copy a previously created file from the local drive to the share it complains that I don't have permission.

I've tried this with two different Linux servers running entirely different versions of Samba and I get the same results. I've also tried this with other Macs (10.5 and 10.6.2) and they both happily copy files to the network share. I've even tried going into terminal and manually setting permissions on the files and that doesn't fix anything.

So to recap; if I create a file on the local drive I can't move it to the share, if I create the file on the share everything works as it should. It's obviously a permissions issue but I'm at a loss to explain what's going on.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Could you post the file you're trying to copy? I mean just a grep from a ls -la ... just to check permissions for that file ... although I trust you have that in order ... change permissions either using the owner account or with sudo

The way I see it is that either you don't have read permissions for the files you are copying or your user doesn't have permissions on the network drive. Maybe try connecting to the linux machine under a different login?

And you could always try copying using scp

OP
J
Reaction score
Looks like we figured it out. Apparently something broke in 10.6.3 and extended permissions when it writes to smb shares. Setting "unix extensions = no" on the smb server fixes it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
good to know, tnx for posting your solution

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.