Garageband sux

Reaction score
So, how am I supposed to record and overdub with garageband when the playback has a slight delay. It is impossible to play like this. Garageband sux. Its really not made to do home recording other than using the samples I guess.

I hate it. Is there any way to get rid of the delay. When I hit a note on the guitar or keyboard the playback has a delay and it is IMPOSSIBLE to follow the metronome.

Reaction score
What kind of Mac do you have? It could be a wiring error. What kind of set up you have, provide more info dude.

You using a mixer? Is it Firewire, or through line in, are you using a direct connect, or have a subline box to go through, whats up?

I use my 27" iMac for producing, got a 24 channel mixboard, firewire box, etc.. I use Logic for everything, but I have used Garageband before without any problems.

As far as the metronome, if you can figure out what the source is of your troubles, it'll be easier to follow. I usually turn the metronome off, and provide my own click track via program like Fruity Loops Studio

OP
J
Reaction score
Leopard version 10.5.8

What kind of Mac do you have? It could be a wiring error. What kind of set up you have, provide more info dude.

You using a mixer? Is it Firewire, or through line in, are you using a direct connect, or have a subline box to go through, whats up?

I use my 27" iMac for producing, got a 24 channel mixboard, firewire box, etc.. I use Logic for everything, but I have used Garageband before without any problems.

As far as the metronome, if you can figure out what the source is of your troubles, it'll be easier to follow. I usually turn the metronome off, and provide my own click track via program like Fruity Loops Studio

Ok, here are some specifics. 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig hd. Leopard 10.5.8. I use a converter jack that plugs in usb to the mac. Its just a usb connection, basically guitar goes direct.

When I initially record its dead on but if I have to re-record a track when I play a note on the guitar there is a delay before I hear it coming out of the speakers.

Yes, I turn off the metronome also. Its totally impossible to overdub a second track because I can't follow with the echo. I can turn the volume down and just hear the guitar but I want to hear what Im playing over the system.

I can't figure it out but so far garageband is turning out to be crap band.

Reaction score
Interesting...

Granted I never really use Garage Band, Logic fan myself. But I never had issues you like that, even when layering up to 20 to 30 tracks.

Hmm, good GPU? dual chip kinda thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
Go into Garageband>preferences>audio/midi>select 'minimum delay when playing instruments live'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The delay is unavoidable, but the length of the delay is determined by the audio interface you're using.

I can record and overdub just fine with the setup I use, so I'd suggest you play around with your setup and settings a bit.

Is the audio interface connected directly or to a hub? Do you have a lot of other USB peripherals connected? All factors that could slow down the data rate...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.