Ram and Hard drive upgrading and the warranty

Reaction score
Simple enough question.

Can I upgrade my own 15" i5 without voiding the warranty, or do I need (and where can I find) a tech to do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Upgrading your RAM and HDD does not void warranty, you can do it yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As scathe has stated, it's a do it yourself upgrade and does not void your warranty. However, be careful because if you break anything while doing the upgrade the repair cost is on you.

Regards.

OP
nepenthe
Reaction score
Thank you.

So.... what are your thoughts on the wd scorpio 750gb (9.5mm) and the 1tb (12mm)? Yes, I do need the room

-david

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Can you fit a 12mm drive in the new unibody?

I think it's great that it doesn't void your warranty if you replace the RAM/HD. I've been considering the new i7 15" and was curious about the upgrades... I can just do it later on if i really need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
nepenthe, watch out for what TomTom mentioned, you can only fit one size of hard drive in your laptop .... the 2,5" disks used in MacBooks would be something around 60mm ... where did you get your numbers? :D Drives are referred to by the width and type.

Your 15" MacBook Pro supports 2,5" SATA

As for the space, that's your call, usually the biggest aspect is your budget

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While the 12.5 mm (height) will fit in the new unibody MBPs you do need to be aware that the extra space taken up can result in poorer cooling of the drive. I know that the 3 mm difference doesn't sound like much, but when you have a 750 GB drive spinning at 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM a lot of heat can be generated.

What do the folks say at Mac sales? I'd like to get their take on the difference in heat dissipation between the 9.5 mm and 12.5 mm drives.

Regards.

OP
nepenthe
Reaction score
vetches ends

Hmmm... It seems that some of my posts are not getting.... posted. Curse this Captcha!

I am aware of the tolerances involved. Though the 5400 rpm drives do not generate quite so much heat, they might disturb the general airflow within the case. The question is, does it present a problem or not? Indeed Mac dealers are selling the 1tb for said purpose.... how is it working out for those who own them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.