• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

WebM - Solution to the video codec problem?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As an avid Opera user and a follower of the desktop team blog, I noticed that Opera released a build that supports WebM video. Not knowing what that was, I looked it up and according to the WebM website, it would appear that, to quote their website, "The WebM project is dedicated to developing a high-quality, open video format for the web that is freely available to everyone." The project is supported by Mozilla, Opera and Google. The codec supports VP8 video and Vorbis audio and is royalty-free.

As of right now, Mozilla and Google have released WebM enabled nightlies of Firefox and Chromium and Opera has released a WebM build. I can only hope that Apple and MS adopt this format if it proves to be efficient and of an acceptable quality (after a quick test in a Chromium nightly, it meets my needs). I doubt this as they seem devoted to H.264 but I can hope. ;)

Any thoughts?

EDIT: According to this article, IE9 will support VP8. And it's confirmed here: "In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video as well as VP8 video when the user has installed a VP8 codec on Windows."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.