Time Machine not working

Reaction score
Time Machine has suddenly stopped working on my OS 10.5.8 G4. The TM icon in the menu bar has a ! in the middle and it says latest backup delayed. When I go into TM prefs it says latest backup failed and the backup volume could not be found. Can someone please help.

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You don't mention what type of device you're backing up to - but that type of an error would indicate that TM could not locate the volume or could not mount the remote drive.

Take a look here at this troubleshooting section from Apple:

Time Machine: Troubleshooting backup issues

it may provide some insight to what your exact issue is.

Also - what do you back up to? a local USB drive or a timecapsule or what? If it's a local drive, can you see the drive in your Finder? If not, then you may want to make sure the drive is turned on, connected and functional.

OP
I
Reaction score
I back up onto an external Lacie hard drive which shows up on my desktop as well as internal HD. Both of them now show the TM logo (dark greenish with anticlockwise arrow), which the internal HD didn't yesterday. The Lacie drive's small light is on, it seems to be connected correctly. Will have a look at the troubleshooting section a bit later.

Thanks,

Michael

OP
I
Reaction score
I've looked at the troubleshooting section but it doesn't seem to have any suggestions for the error message that I get, "Backup disk could not be found".

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which is the error exactly? Backup Disk Could not be Found or Backup Volume Could Not Be Found? You've listed two different ones now based upon your first message vs your most recent message.

Also - the volume that you see that is green, can you open it? Can you view the files in it? Can you create a file on that drive? (although it's marked as a TM drive, it still works like a normal drive)

OP
I
Reaction score
Error message is The backup volume could not be found. Yes, I can open the Lacie external drive on my desktop and add stuff to it.

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
I
Reaction score
I went to change disk, unselected and then reselected Lacie and now all is fine. Should have tried that before! And no I did not buy my Mac in the backstreets of Bangkok!

Many thanks your help,

Michael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.