Running Windows/Linux on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to Mac OS and I've got a few questions about running Windows and/or Linux on a MacBook Pro while still being able to connect to a Mac OSX Server.

Recently, at work, they've switched over to Mac.
In my opinion it's a disaster since I've been using Windows for over 10 years and everything takes a lot of getting used to.

However, I've read it's possible to run Windows and/or Linux on a MacBook Pro too. The only problem I think is the server.
Do I run into any compatibility issues when I connect my Mac running Windows/Linux to a Mac OSX Server?

One of the reasons they've switched to Mac at work is 'Time Machine' to backup their stuff. Will I be able to run that through Win/Linux?

Also, when downloading Linux, do I need an alternative version because I'm running it from a Mac?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tekniq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
You do not need any special Linux distribution in order to run linux on mac.

I recommend running either Windows/Linux in a virtual machine using software such as VMware or Sun VirtualBox just to see if it would all work before fully dedicating Hard Drive space for them.

I myself run a Linux Debian and Windows 2000 virtual machine on my Macbook Pro though I recommend Ubuntu Linux if it is the first time in Linux land.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried VirtualBox already, and it works O.K.
Tried it with Knoppix, but in the future I'll be running Ubuntu with LXDE I think. :)

Anyway, do you know anything about the Mac OSX Server and if I'll be able to use it's mail & file server when running Windows or Linux on my Mac?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Tekniq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
I have never used Mac OSX Server before but I don't see why it wouldn't work with Linux or Windows if it is a file or mail server.

Windows will be supported seeing that the majority of people use windows machines so it would be dumb of Apple to not support the platform.

I don't know about Linux however, the Mac OS server is built on Unix and uses a lot of open services so I think there is a possibility it could work.

You could install Windows and then if you want you could use the wubi method to install ubuntu inside windows so if ubuntu doesn't work then you can just remove it from the add/remove programs software in windows and stick to windows only.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great, thanks.

I'm gonna try it this weekend, I'll post here if it worked out :) (or if it did not, lol)

I hope I don't run into any driver problems (eg. wireless not working)

Regards,
Tekniq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
If you are installing a new OS I recommend having an ethernet connection handy in order to install drivers (incase wireless isn't recognised).

OP
T
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that I've succesfully installed Windows XP now with the help of a tutorial (using the rEFIt bootloader), not sure if I can post the link but it's easily found on Google by searching for 'Triple Boot'.

I did run into a few problems. For example, Windows wanted to be installed on the last partition. I had already made 2 partitions for Linux as well but I had to remove those in order to install Windows. I'll be re-creating those partitions as soon as I'm gonna install Linux.

Installing drivers was easy using bootcamp. Only my Magic Mouse doesn't work but that's no big deal imo. Bluetooth does work and the mouse appears in the device list but does not work.

So.. so far so good, Linux is up next! O:)
Thanks again for your advice Cellobones :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
It is all good ;D.

If everything works correctly you can pretty much use any software.

OP
T
Reaction score
Linux ain't working :Not-Amused:

I tried both Ubuntu (Lubuntu 10.04) and Fedora 12.

Fedora didn't even reach the setup at first, saying it couldn't find a dvd drive or something similar. After using an external one I was able to reach the setup.
After selecting my language, timezone, etc. it says I don't have a hard disk installed and asks me if I want to load drivers for it.

Ubuntu is a slightly different story, it boots into live mode but when I reach the partitioning section of the install it shows nothing.

After some 'Googling' I've learned that I'm not the only one with this problem but I wasn't able to find a solution..

Hopefully, someone here has the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tekniq

Edit: I've got a MacBook Pro 13" (With a Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
I have not had any hardware problems due to me running Linux in a virtual environment. That could be the very last option if nothing works out right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I am running windows xp in VM Fusion and my Autocad and Primavera both do not like it, have problems printing from both apps. Next stop, bootcamp to install Windows and see if that works.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have not had any hardware problems due to me running Linux in a virtual environment. That could be the very last option if nothing works out right?

I've tested under VirtualBox a few days ago and it works flawless.
However, I' rather have an actual triple boot.

So I'll keep searching for a solution! :Smirk:

@oleviking : Installing and running Windows is very straight forward. If you use bootcamp I believe every piece of hardware is detected. If your not using bootcamp you can just insert the driver disc and Windows will install them all.
Too bad Linux is such a different story :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
Hopefully you will find a solution.

I am thankful Linux works on my HP laptop. I only use virtual machines on my mac seeing that I thought dual booting kinda made getting Mac OS X pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
One of the reasons they've switched to Mac at work is 'Time Machine' to backup their stuff.

Why did your company switch the whole company to Mac just to use TimeMachine?? If that was the main reason, you need a new IT Manager!

When I used to work in IT Support for a Games Development company (around 80 users) in London, in a Windows environment we backed up the whole project and servers including Exchange and it was all done on a HP Tape Drive. They cost around $6,000 but I'm guessing that would have been ALOT cheaper than changing all of your users to Mac then the time to train them to use Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Mac, but it doesn't sound logical to change the whole office to Mac rather than buying a tape drive to backup rather than Time Machine.

Rookie error...

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.