Best Mac DVR Solution for me...

Reaction score
Hello folks! I am trying to figure out the best DVR solution that will work for me. I currently use a Comcast branded DVR box. You know, from the cable company for $X.99 a month. I THOUGHT that this would be a good solution but really it has been the worst DVR option I've ever used!

Why? It's slow, the menus are redundant... And you know, it just doesn't perform as well, quick or solid as my past DVRs. It just doesn't feel right.

My favorite DVR unit has always been the Tivo. I had a Tivo series 1 with a lifetime subscription which I should have never eBayed. But, I did. Ugh. The Tivo just worked. It was great. The thumbs up, thumbs down system made program recommendations that just worked. It knew what programs I would probably enjoy watching. When I made a series subscription, it always worked perfectly. (My Comcast box seems to mess up almost every series subscription I throw at it.) TiVo would record a few extra minutes on programs it thought eould go over. And my current box just doesn't do that AT ALL. Ugh.

Ok, so enough with all that other device talk. I'm thinking that Apple should offer something that will work for me. I mean man, all their other products get me going...

I have a couple key requirements.

I travel a lot for work. I would LOVE to be able to stream my programs to my iPad.

I want to be able to control the recordings via my ipad or iPhone.

I want the DVR to have great controls on the TV screen. More like the Tivo than the Comcast box. (Duh.)

Id like the option to record a few extra minutes dater programs.

Id like a good recommendations feature. These DVRs should learn what types of programs I like and then make recommendations.

I want the DVR to be controlled via a remote control, not a keyboard/mouse.

I want this to be a separate system than my iMac. You know, a Mac Mini or tower that just sits by my TV.

-----

So, is there god software out there for DVR system on a Mac? Is the Mac Mini a good choice? Can it be controlled via remote like I want?

I would imagine that I can use a Mac Mini and their special DVR software. Or their version of Windows Home Edition that is for use with TVs.

Also, if it ties into my ipad through streaming software or otherwise, that would be great.

I am currently streaming netflix to my ipad when out of town but if i could watch MY programs on the road-- Wow. Id be pumped!!

Thanks for any and all info. Sorry so long-winded.

Reaction score
Elgato - North America Try them out, you will also need a turner stick, I have the lite version and really like it and the pro allows you to put it on your ipod/iphone so it should be able to go on the ipad also.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While there are a lot of people happy with their OSX and Linux based machines, I'd suggest building your own Win7 based HTPC.

You will want to head for the AVScience forums to find the multitude of people that are really into these type of setups.

Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.