10.6.3 WindowServer consuming excessive memory

Reaction score
I've been using 10.6.3 since it came out and have noticed that the system can get bogged down with sluggish UI responsiveness (even typing in Skype can get delayed past the speed I can type).

Recently I installed iStat Menus to keep a better idea of what is going on and noticed that WindowServer was starting to consume more and more memory if I went a while without rebooting. Today I noticed that it was up to 500mb of memory. After investigating, it seems WindowServer deals with the rendering of graphics but what I don't understand is what might be causing it to grow so extensively.

Some of the apps I use frequently are:
Google Chrome 6.0.401.1
Eclipse PDE 3.5.2
Skype 2.8.0.851

I typically just put my laptop to sleep when I'm not using it so it could certainly have been up for 6 days or so since the last time I cycled it.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to easily track what app was the one that caused the most memory growth? After just logging out and back in to my account without restart, the WindowServer process is back down to 45mb and that's with all my processes I normally use running.

Alternatively, is this possibly a bug/memory leak in the WindowServer process itself?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

OP
T
Reaction score
Quick update:

I checked my system up time and WindowServer grew to the 500mb in just 28 hours.

Looks like it an even more severe growth than I realized when posting.

Thanks,
Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.