MacHalDriver failed to start - Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Hey guys,

I've installed VMWare 3.0 and have Windows XP up and running on my new MacBook Pro (10.6.3). Everything works pretty well, but I can't get my iSight to work. It says I have to install the Boot Camp drivers so I'm trying to do that, but after a few minutes of the installation I get the following error:

Service 'Mac HAL' (MacHalDriver) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I am on the admin account so that should not be the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Carson

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you are running Windows XP within a Fusion 3.0 VM, you don't need or want to install Boot Camp drivers. You should install the Fusion Guest Tools which will provide the necessary emulated drivers that Windows needs.

Unless you're running Windows XP from a Boot Camp partition, the Boot Camp drivers are not needed. That's probably why you're receiving that odd error.

Regards.

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
I already have that installed, but my iSight is not recognized. Any way around this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
About all I can think of is to re-do the VM, install the Guest Tools again and see if that works. I don't have Fusion 3 to experiment with but I know that the iSight shows up OK in Fusion 2 running XP Home. You might want to ask the knowledgeable folks who hang out in the Fusion Forums.

Regards.

Reaction score
My best suggestion is to reinstall the VM Ware Tools. If that doesn't work, try to reinstall the VM (or restore from a prior snapshot and try the tool install). The Fusion Forums are a good suggestion.

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
I reinstalled VMware Tools, but to no avail. When I go to connect the iSight, it still says "The Apple Built-In iSight device requires that you install Apple's Boot Camp driver disc in the virtual machine.
Definitely seems like I need them, chscag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still seems odd to me. As I said, I don't have Fusion 3.0, but I do know that the iSight works OK with Fusion 2.0. Unless they've made changes to the way Fusion supplies emulated drivers it should work. Anyway, I think it's time maybe to ask in the Fusion forums and see if one of their experts can figure out why you're getting that error.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.