Mac Mini good for graphic editing?

R

rubberbullet

I'm looking into my first mac (the mini) and was wondering how well it would hold up if used specifically for graphic editing (apps like photoshop, illustrator, flash, etc.). I want to be able to browse the internet while running photoshop, illustrator, and itunes without lag and wasn't sure if the Mini was what i needed.

i was looking at the 1.4ghz with 1 gig of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
That could work, as long as the graphics stuff you intend to do isn't all that complicated. However, as soon as you start doing some of the more advanced effects and 3D rendering in Illustrator, that mini will feel quite slow. For graphics, if you can afford better, get something better, but if not the mini should be ok. I would go with 1 GB ram too for sure.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
rubberbullet said:
I'm looking into my first mac (the mini) and was wondering how well it would hold up if used specifically for graphic editing (apps like photoshop, illustrator, flash, etc.). I want to be able to browse the internet while running photoshop, illustrator, and itunes without lag and wasn't sure if the Mini was what i needed.

i was looking at the 1.4ghz with 1 gig of RAM.

You certainly won't find anything better at a similar price!

What I would suggest is that you also budget for a large external firewire drive if you also want to do any video editing though.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
it is cheaper to buy an internal drive and get an external case, but yeah, some sort of additional drive is a pretty good idea if you do any video editing at all

OP
T

Tel

I use my 1.2Ghz G4 iBook with 768MB of RAM for the same kind of stuff, having iPhoto, a few Safari windows, a few Photoshop documents and playing music at the same time does slow it down but its definatly tollerable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Same here - if you can live with slowdowns then you should be fine.
If you're the type of user who needs to have everything running at full speed with no noticeable lag - then the mac mini's not for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.