My Macbook Slowing Down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83Ghz 1Gig Ram 120Hard Drive Capacity
hey i was just wondering if my macbook is slowing down. the reason is when i try to open up a folder it takes atleast 3 seconds to open a folder. i'm just wondering because i have 78.40 GB left. does the age affect how slowly it goes. i bought it from some1 that had it for 44 months. i know i'm too sensitive about my mac but i always wonder because when i watch mac movies there folder always pops ups after they click not even a second. anyways if its my macs age's problem then ill leave it like that. thanks anyways

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try adding a new User and Logging into that and see if u get the same Lag. If not then it is an issue with your regular User data.

C

chas_m

Generally speaking, most of the time people complain about the Mac being slower than it was, it's down to one of a handful of causes:

1. Some background process is eating up a lot of CPU. Check activity monitor for this.
2. The hard drive is nearly full. This doesn't seem to be the issue in your case.
3. The hard drive is starting to fail. This machine is four years old, this is a definite possibility.
4. Poor maintenance. Ever run Repair Permissions? How about Disk Warrior? After four years, maybe a good nuke-and-pave-and-restore would fix the problem. Couldn't hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
and 5. The laptop has been on so many networks it is constipated ;D - into Onyx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.