ATI Radeon HD 4870 with Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been trying to install 2 new Radeon 4870 graphics cards in my mac pro and I'm running into some issues. Powering each card requires 2 'connectors' that fit into the logic board. In order to use 2 cards however (each with 2 connectors) I would need 4 inputs on the logic board - I am only seeing 2 total?

Do I need to purchase some kind of adapter to power both these cards? Is there something I am totally missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been trying to install 2 new Radeon 4870 graphics cards in my mac pro and I'm running into some issues. Powering each card requires 2 'connectors' that fit into the logic board. In order to use 2 cards however (each with 2 connectors) I would need 4 inputs on the logic board - I am only seeing 2 total?

Do I need to purchase some kind of adapter to power both these cards? Is there something I am totally missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

The cards would need to be flashed to work under osx unless they are the new Mac version. I've heard people use an adaptor and the power supply from the cd bay to power the second card, there are some instructions if you google around. Let me know how it works because I've been wanting to get two of those or one 4970 in my early 2009 Mac pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.