Upgrade a Power Mac G5

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some second opinions, what would be the best upgrades and changes i could make to this G5 here is the spec of the computer.

View attachment System Profile.doc

It is mainly used for video editing on final cut. Basically am i gonna get my bang for my buck just buying a new computer? :Smirk:

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From the specs you submitted it looks like there really isn't much you would want to do or could do to upgrade. You didn't mention how large the hard drive is but that might one area that you could improve on.

Also, you can run Leopard on that machine. I noticed that you're running Panther. Your PowerMac G5 is certainly still a very capable machine but if it were mine, I would not sink a lot of money into it.

We should see a new line of iMacs from Apple sometime this year. It may happen this Summer or Fall. You might want to wait to see what they come out with and perhaps purchase a new machine instead of spending money and trying to improve your G5.

Ultimately though, the decision is yours.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Check Mactracker http://mactracker.ca/ for the sorts of upgrades you can do with that machine, eg. 4 Gb RAM maximum. RAM aside, your listed specs suggest that your G5 is at 'basic' level, including the video card. This site Accelerate Your Mac Graphics Card and Video Related Articles may give you guidance about video upgrades.

Essentially though, as Chas has suggested, your G5 is now 7 years old, and Mactracker lists it in the Vintage category (blimey, vintage at 7!!). Save your $$ for a later model machine, would be my recommendation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.