MacBook Pro freezes constantly

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz I bought used about a year ago and the keyboard started freezing a few months after I got it. It responds to mouse clicks when using a mouse but not to the touchpad and it won't allow me to type anything. It seems to be getting worse and is very irritating when try to work. I have to force shut down by holding the power button down. I'm sure that is not good to have to shut down that way. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem or is this just a flaw with the MacBook Pro? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a flaw with the MBP, that's for sure. You say you purchased the machine used - from where? Purchasing a used machine can be risky unless you know the person from whom you purchased it from. I say it can be risky because what you're describing in your post sounds very much like that machine has undergone a liquid spill on it.

Keyboard problems, (freezing) having to power down with the on off switch, and the fact that it started 2 months after you bought it, are good indications of interior damage due to a spill of some sort.

If it underwent a spill, there's not much you can do about it now. Continue using the machine as long as you can. Make backups! And be prepared to purchase another. Repairing it would probably cost more than buying a refurbished machine from Apple.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
I remember one time my new 2009 MBPs trackpad stopped responding and flickered around.

I used the OnyX software I downloaded to run some maintenance tasks and after I restarted everything was working again.

OnyX

Try it out and hopefully it will work!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.