Shuts Down On Me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I own a 300Mhz Ibook Clamshell and it came with Mac OS X, the very first Mac Os x and its kind of crappy so I want to resto ore to the original 8.6 and then install 9.2. But for some reason after I hold C and it says Welcome to Macintosh it just shuts down all of a sudden. Whats going on here?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The software install CD also causes the computer to shut down unexpectedly. This is frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
oldnews said:
The software install CD also causes the computer to shut down unexpectedly. This is frustrating.

As an alternate,
Boot into OS X, go into System Preferences and select Startup Disc. Make sure the CD is in the drive and select it, click Restart.

If it shuts down again, try resetting PRAM (just a guess) and try booting from CD again.

To reset PRAM, hold down (going by memory here) SHIFT-CMD-P-R immediately after turning power on, wait for third chime and release and boot procedure will continue.

Let me know what you find out.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I try resetting PRAM I held down the keys you said to and then a little file folder came up with a question mark on it, it then flashed and went to the little computer with the finder face on it and loaded into Mac OS X. I didnt hear any chimes either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
oldnews said:
When I try resetting PRAM I held down the keys you said to and then a little file folder came up with a question mark on it, it then flashed and went to the little computer with the finder face on it and loaded into Mac OS X. I didnt hear any chimes either.

I could have been mistaken, PRAM reset search on this forum or Google will yield the results.

Were you able to select the CD as the startup disk from OS X and reboot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
apple option pr sometimes you will not here a chime, on my powerbook if I dont' hear the chime i just listen for the comoputer to start the superdrive again 3 times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Dexter1912 said:
isnt there some thing in the firmware that stops it back tracking?

I don't believe so, but a possibility

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IanCT said:
I could have been mistaken, PRAM reset search on this forum or Google will yield the results.

Were you able to select the CD as the startup disk from OS X and reboot?

I was able to select the CD from the Start Up Disk preference but as it loaded up it again shut down.

I didnt hear a chime but I did notice the time on the laptop went back a couple of years, does this mean that it did reset even though I didnt hear a chime?

Thanks

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no.. i cant figure out why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.