Help, iMac G5 will not start after failed snow leopard installation

Reaction score
I was trying to update my G5 to snow leopard from leopard 10.5.5 when it said it could not install. So I decided to quit installation and boot from 10.5.5. It started up and reaches the apple loading screen but goes off without reaching the log in screen. I have tried booting from the CD again and resetting the PRAM but it still wont work and continues to do the same

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This may not help with your main problem but you need to know this. 10.6 Snow Leopard is INTEL only and will not install on any G5 or other Power PC Mac. The latest OS you can install (if your system is truly a iMac G5 Power PC) is 10.5.8.

I am not sure what happened to cause your startup issues as 10.6 should have not even touched the hard drive.

Do you have your 10.5 DVD? If so boot with the DVD in the drive holding down the C key. Does that boot to the 10.5 installer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.