Boot iMac G5 from external

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, MacBook, iPhone 4, iPad
Ok I know this might be posted somewhere on here, and I have googled it many times but I just wanted to verify what the best way to go about doing this was. I have the 2004 iMac G5 1.8Ghz 20" and I am currently running 10.4.11 and I want to upgrade it to 10.5, the iMac (as discussed on another thread on here) will not boot from burnt dual layer discs and I have the image file on my dads computer. I had been burning the image onto dvd+r dl, and it seems it is impossible to find those anywhere except on the internet for 15$ for a pack of three. So I decided it was time for either an external hard drive upgrade or an optical drive upgrade (both being external). My question is, what is going to be the better option. I know which ever one I get needs to be firewire, but if I could find a firewire dvd optical drive will the iMac boot from it, or will the iMac only boot from firewire hdds? I didnt want to waste money on an external dvd drive that wouldn't allow me to boot from it, I already have one of those in USB form, thats what I use to do all my burning now since the imac g5 optical drive is so slow.
thanks for any help
Oh and yes I have already tried to boot from target disc and that didn't work either. All it does is take a while to load and then spits the disc out of my macbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to boot your machine from a quality firewire optical drive, however, that depends on the media. It sound like you're having some difficulty with your boot DVD?

Booting from a firewire hard drive would be my first choice but as I stated above, a firewire optical drive should work.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, MacBook, iPhone 4, iPad
Yeah, I figured that would be my best bet. Now does it matter if I use a firewire enclosure and install one of my many SATA drives, or would it be best to just buy a "already assembled"? I am simply asking because I have had problems in the past where my USB2 enclosure with a 3.5" SATA HDD reads differently then a western digital, if that makes since.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would go for a good FW enclosure if you can find one locally. Fry's electronics has them costing anywhere from $15.00 to $35.00. I've found in the past when it comes to external enclosures that it's best to spend a little more and get a quality unit.

As far as buying a pre-assembled unit versus one that you put together yourself, that's up to you. I personally like to buy the enclosure and then add whatever hard drive I choose rather than one that's pre-built.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.