Seagate 2tb Usb Hard Drive dropping out.

Reaction score
Hi i have recently purchased a Seagate 2TB Expansion series external USB 2.0 HD, Generally it is working as it should but sometimes if i try to backup large amounts of data at one time, ie. My music folder, (480 GB) it will transfer a large part of it, like 300 GB or so then freeze, then it will give me 2 error messages the first saying the operation could not be completed as some of the data could not be written, the second telling me that said disk was not properly ejected , the disk is then no longer available on my desktop and to find it again requires removing the power lead from the drive for around 10 seconds then re-connecting.

Also even when the drive is not connected by the Usb cable, but has been connected to the power for an extended period of time and i try to connect the usb cable, the drive will not be shown on the desktop unless i then disconnect the power and reconnect, this is driving me insane, i really need to back up my Music collection as i am a Dj.

I am using a Macbook running Snow leaopard 10.6.3, 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb 667 Mhz DDr2 SDRAM
Also the External hard drive is Fat32 formatted as i need to use it with windows systems also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:Evil: Johnny :Evil:

Reaction score
Although I don't have an exact solution to your problem and even though theoretically FAT32 can support logic drives of up to 8tb in size I still think this has to be a filesystem problem(if we exclude the possibility of the device being corrupted itself).
I don't have anything to support this opinion but mostly it just seems rather... wasteful to format a 2tb drive to a file system that does not support files over 4gb in size(meaning no dvd images, HDvideo files, etc).
I would suggest that you try to format it into NTFS, get a driver to support NTFS on your MAC and try copying all that music to the drive then.

OP
J
Reaction score
But how would that explain the drive dropping out? i do not have any mp3s of 4gb!
Plus i dont need to be able to store large files i just want my music on a drive readable by both Macs and Pcs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.