After Migration, Ext HDs are READ ONLY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey there,

i bought a new computer last night (see specs), and did migration assistant. ever since then my "verify and repair permissions" are greyed out for my ext hds in my disk util and my back up wont work because it cant "verify permissions". anyone have any ideas?

also, most of my folders on those drives are READ ONLY. i tried changing the permissions manually (by getting info and applying to enclosed items) but it didnt work for everything.

i use superduper as my backup app. and my drives are 2, 750gig WD USB 2.

i wont feel right until my back ups are working again.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
give this a try. get your mac os x install disk and put it in. shutdown the computer and turn it back on while holding on the "C" key. hold down the "C" key until you get to a language selection page. select the language and hit the right arrow. click on utilities in the menu bar, goto reset password. Choose the macintosh HD then your account. at the bottom you'll see a button that says reset home permissions and ACL's. click on that and restart. you should be go to go after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Did you migrate from windows? Or did you migrate from another Mac, and now you just can't access your files... Have you sudo'd into the drives I assume? Weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.