Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Want to use your ipad as a 2ndary display for your mac?
Well an app has been sublitted to the appstore claiming just that.

Air Display Avatron Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's just flippin COOL!!!!! Can't wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MBP 4GB Ram Glossy Screen
That is brilliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
looks pretty neat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I recall seeing a rumor some time back that Apple was developing a "device" that would serve as a multi-touch trackpad, a secondary monitor, and as a stand-alone tablet device. Of course, since then we've gotten the iPad, but as it turns out, it is in fact that device also with the help of 3rd-party apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Hey, that there has possibilities.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was wondering when someone was going to do something like that. I did that some time ago with an old iBook. Used the second screen for Photoshop tools. It was really slow. Hopefully this will be better.

I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already tried using the iPad to control a headless Mac. That worked pretty well but there again the screen redraw was a bit slow. There has got to be a fix for that.

What app are/were you using? I have RemoteTap on my iPhone, and while it's not quite as fast as sitting at the Mac itself, it is supposed to be the fastest available. They don't use the built-in VNC server in OS X... you install their own server, which renders the display in a manner that is optimized for the iPhone. I don't have an iPad (yet), but if they have a version optimized for the iPad's faster hardware, it might be better still.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I was using RealVNC - VNC Viewer for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It is not bad but I was looking for something that also handled file transfer and had sound support, Needed it to full access a headless Mac. I am going to try iTeleport but I am having some trouble resetting my gmail password (stupid captcha symbols).

I'm not acquainted with iTeleport, but that aside, what you want to do can certainly be accomplished with various apps. With the upcoming OS 4 supporting 3rd-party multitasking, you should be able to fully utilize those multiple apps if you can't find a single one that works.

For ex: RemoteTap as a VNC client, Airfoil Speakers Touch to send you sound, and Air Sharing for file transfer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am.sure there are several that will work. it is just a matter of finding one I like. The description iTeleport should do what I want once I get past the password issue. I was going to look for something that did file transfer but I can do that with unless of course the Mobile Me client and iDisk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.