Just got a Free Wallstreet Powerbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
im excited lol even though this thing is old, my awesome High school photography teacher has given me yet another peice of her mac hardware that she has no use for! yea shes the one that got me all into macs.

So, it took me a few minutes to realize, DUH, you wont hear it boot. It has OS9.1, 233mhz CPU, 96MB ram, original 2gb HDD. 1.16gb free. Pretty big screen too id say its 14" easily.

She cleaned out the software good. Last mac she gave me had the entire adobe suite lol but no biggie.

Looks to me like its a new battery, and in apple profiler there was a link to AppleDVD player, so im wondering if shes got a DVD drive in there, havnet checeked yet.

Top it off, YO YO adaptor! Pretty good day.

So now, im wondering, what should i do with it? My initial plans are this:

Upgrade the CPu to 500mhz <-- Ebay, 150$
Upgrade to a 40 or 80gb HDD <--- 60$-110$
Upgrade ram to 512 <---100$(?)

Cram osx.3 on there. Use it for garage band, on the spot band recordings, final cut offline editing.

I also have an old zip drive, has the click of death but i found a fix for that. So ill probably just keep that in the bag. However i didnt get a floppy drive with it, not like it matters i dont use floppies anyways.

Is there a way to get Firewire/USB for this thing? What about Airport/Wireless internet?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AirPort and FireWire should be possible using PC cards, assuming you can find drivers.

Before you spend all your money on upgrades, though, compare that with the cost of just buying something like an iBook off of eBay. Though I could definitely see some memory and OS X on there....

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
the nice thing about this is, i wouldnt have to spend it all at once.

I was way wrong on the hard drive estimates. Lots of drives, around 40gb are giong for roughly 40-50$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.