lost control of my sound because of a Quicksilver script

Reaction score
Hi all

hope you can help here

I ran a Quicksilver script ( I thought it was a built in MAc script) to increase my volume..

now, all my volume controls seem to be stuck on MAX but nothing comes out!

I can't decrease or mute.. if I hit the f11, f10 or f12 key it simply shows me a sounds graphics with all the bars enabled and below it a "do not enter" sign. same if I go through system preferences or the volume icon on the top bar... I see the volume at max but can't scroll the control!

any clue why this is happening and how can I fix it?

thanks

Pabs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine in SAFE mode and remove the script. The script should be located in /Library/Scripts or it may be in the same folder as QuickSilver.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
tried booting in safe mode but was not able too.. the sound won't come out so it's hard to know when it happens (in order to hit the Shift key) I tried a few times and nothing so gave that up for now.

I found the script...removed (dropped on my desktop) and even went as far as disabling Quickslver from starting on boot up. that did nothing

one strange thing I noticed... if I plug my headphones on I can suddenly regain control of my sound controls! the second I remove them my sound control become disable! and the volume is back at 100% (stuck there and it won't let me move it)..

bizarooooo

Pabs

OP
P
Reaction score
Well...here's more...

I just noticed that if I go in my sound preferences , "internal speakers" is not listed as an option
only Digital OUT. likely why the headphones work
how do I make it see my internal speakers again

Pabs

OP
P
Reaction score
update on the situation

it seems that the problem is that the computer thinks the audio is still going out to the headphones.. that's why the red led is on inside the headphone jack.

I guess it's a common issue...something happens when you use your headphones... a tab gets stuck and come back to its normal position after the headphones have been removed...

a bunch of trick people try to bring it back...but for me none of them worked...yet..
I'll call Apple today and likely have them fix it

what ****** me off is the first tech I spoke too at Apple... his first and only response to my issue was to do a full re-install of the OS... aside from cleaning things up it would have served no purpose...and to think of the time it would take me to get all my apps/settings back....ouch..
had he actually asked me a few questions he would of realized that a re-install would be pointless... .good service I tell you

Pabs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
what ****** me off is the first tech I spoke too at Apple... his first and only response to my issue was to do a full re-install of the OS... aside from cleaning things up it would have served no purpose...and to think of the time it would take me to get all my apps/settings back....ouch..
had he actually asked me a few questions he would of realized that a re-install would be pointless... .good service I tell you

Unfortunately you ran into someone who may have been more interested in getting you off the phone than trying to resolve your problem. I haven't spoken to on line support very much throughout the years, but when I have, I have always received good advice and a patient response.

Don't sell Apple's support and service short because of one incident. I know that it can be frustrating when you run into the kind of advice you were given, but I assure that wasn't the norm.

Anyway, if you tried all the methods of getting the headphone jack unstuck and they didn't work, it's time to take it on in. Let us know how everything turns out.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
resetting pram

well
after talking to a nicer helpdesk dude he told me try resetting the pram.

sounds pretty simple...but I wonder of any nasty side effects

anyone know about this and is it safe to do?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.