The next iMac line update

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro but the screen is too small. I am originally from Bulgaria, but now I am in the USA. The laptop is doing great job but I am thinking about getting a brand new iMac when I go back home and to sell the laptop. I know that the last update for the iMac line was in October 2009, but I don't know if they are like the MacBooks to be updated every 200 days. Are they?
I really need to know, because I will be home in July and I think this is like 200 days. And it would suck if I buy it and then after a month they come up with a new one. And that would be really bad and sad. The next ones are going to have either more RAM Memory or Hard Drives or something a little bit better. So I don't want to be screwed.
I would be really happy if you tell me how often they update the line or just when is the next logic update? Or is there even going to be an update this year, because I can't really see what they can improve on the iMac.
THANK YOU!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple will improve their iMac line. It's the only way for a company like Apple to stay competitive and make money for their shareholders. Now as to when they announce new iMacs is anyone's guess. As you stated, the average time between updates has been around 8 months (200 - 240 days). That would mean an update around the end of June or sometime in July. But that's just a WAG, it could be tomorrow or it could be at Xmas time. :)

Buy your iMac before you leave for Bulgaria whether or not it's been updated. I'm sure it will cost you more at home than in the US anyway. O:)

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Haha, but I can't buy the iMac from here, it is too big and heavy, I can't put it in my suitcase. But that was a good idea.
When was the last time they were updated, the previous line, before the October 2009? I am really interested in buying an iMac because I won't really need a laptop, I might need it once in 3-4 months(during vacation) but I will get over it. And I will be under pressure all the time when the battery is going to die and when I have to charge it and how long so that I can keep it healthy and keep the heath % up. And the screen on the laptop and the memory and hard drives are smaller.
So I really want to know about the iMac. And I also know that I am never going to be frustration free about buying a computer ... every time I get one, the next one is around the corner, announced and ready to be launched, it's like that with everything, I know but I am planning on selling my laptop after I go home and then have no Apple computer for a month or two, and wait(while having a 2-year-old was-expensive-once PC) and then get the next iMac.
I would be really happy if you help me and find out if the iMacs are different than the MacBooks and are being updated later(in more than 200 days). But we can still just guess because we never know ... as you said.
And what Apple events do we usually have? The next one is going to be the WWDC-June 7th and we expect the iPhone HD from that event but what are other future events that usually go at this time period?
Thank you! I really appreciate you and your help, you have helped me a lot in this forum and I am really thankful.

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro but the screen is too small. I am originally from Bulgaria, but now I am in the USA. The laptop is doing great job but I am thinking about getting a brand new iMac when I go back home and to sell the laptop. I know that the last update for the iMac line was in October 2009, but I don't know if they are like the MacBooks to be updated every 200 days. Are they?
I really need to know, because I will be home in July and I think this is like 200 days. And it would suck if I buy it and then after a month they come up with a new one. And that would be really bad and sad. The next ones are going to have either more RAM Memory or Hard Drives or something a little bit better. So I don't want to be screwed.
I would be really happy if you tell me how often they update the line or just when is the next logic update? Or is there even going to be an update this year, because I can't really see what they can improve on the iMac.
THANK YOU!

You do know that you can hook up an external display to your MPB, right????

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, I do, but I don't need the laptop, I need something more powerful and bigger. The laptop is something that you can take everywhere, well I don't need a laptop anymore, after July I will need just a Desktop Computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can't really see what they can improve on the iMac.

1. Better GPUs
2. More cores in the cpu and a slow phasing out of C2D in favour if the iseries (i5, i7 etc)
3. Light cable technology - As in one ultra fast cable for all your devices. It will come eventually.
4. Ability to have a hard drive with more space. A 3TB Hard Drive has been invented and the article I read says Apple are interested in the technology.
5. More maxium memory.
6. More interaction with the version 2 of the Magic Mouse that has way more touch features. Sure that's a mouse/OS upgrade but it affects the imac too.
7. Air Touch. My name for an idea. Already you can have games where the software maps out your body and you use your hand (with no remote) to hit a ball or whack an enemy. And this technology could be added in. So you can just grab and move the things in OS X juat by moving your hand in the air. And your hand in the air would be the mouse. Sure another OS upgrade but totally affects how you'd use the imac.
8. imac camera has more pixel resolution for photos/videos.
9. Move to OLED screens wth a really high resolution. Well maybe if the price is right for the screens I guess. They are still way to expensive and experimental at the moment.

I can't think of anything else now. But that is 9 possible ideas for upgrading the imac I just came up with.

Reaction score
^^^ also addition of USB3 in the immediate future would be nice! (intel lightpeak or similar is still a ways off)

... and Blu-Ray. i can dream, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
I have been waiting for the next iMac as well before I buy. I would like to wait for the next processor upgrade but don't know if that's happining anytime soon. Would like to get one before my mother retires from teaching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
^^^ also addition of USB3 in the immediate future would be nice! (intel lightpeak or similar is still a ways off)

I thought from I read the light peak technology might be ready for use in Macs by next year. If not there is always USB-3 as you said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
I just watched the intel videos on Light Peak. Very nice, and about time. Im betting it will take two update cycles for imacs to adopt it. I will buy when imacs go to the next speed cpu's which Im guessing will happen in the next 3-4 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.