Macbook Pro 2010 Dilema (Going to school for web design...and need a computer!)

Reaction score
So here's the deal, I've looked all over the internet for a solution to my problem. And I know I'm the only person who can really make this decision but I wanted some insight from people who are in the same field.

I'm a PC user and I've wanted a Mac for a long long long time! I'm going to school for web design/multimedia and I know that Mac's are the computer to have if you're going into this field.

I'm going to carry this around campus (I'm a big guy so the weight isn't an issue) but I'm not sure if a 13" inch screen is going to be enough when I'm using Flash, InDesign, Photoshop and the rest of the Adobe Suite.

I just don't know how powerful a computer I need because I have a massive 24" screen at home and a computer with plenty of horse power. Is the 13" macbook pro enough to run the Adobe CS4 Suite comfortably or do I need the i5 processor?

The only thing I'll have on this computer is the Adobe Suite and problem the equivalent of Microsoft office...like I said I'm not mac savvy but I hope to be soon.

Thanks for your help guys.

Reaction score
IMHO, the 13" mbp has enough processing power to do the job. But the screen is going to be a problem for you. Not only is it smaller but it is only 1280 by 800. The 15.5" MBP can be had with two native resolutions, 1440 by 900 or 1680 by 1050. That much higher resolution is going to allow a lot more to be shown on the screen at one time. That is a big plus for a web designer.

IMO, you should go for the 15.5" MBP with the higher resolution screen.

Beyond that, you will see a HUGE difference in power with the i5 processor when compared with the Core 2 Duo in the 13". The i7 isn't just dual core but is also hyperthreaded. That is another big boost. If you're working with Flash, that CPU power is going to make your life a lot easier.

Best of luck to you..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.