Just bought a new MBP...

Reaction score
Just bought a new MBP. 15", i5 processor, 128 SSD, 4 GB ram. I'll be starting college this fall.

Just got all the goodies I ordered with it -- incase backpack and sleeve, and the apple remote -- and I can't wait for my new MacBook Pro to come in the mail! (supposed to come this Thurs, 5/20). I've been on the fedex order tracking website as much as possible. It took FOUR FREAKING DAYS for it to leave China. It made it to Alaska this morning, and left about 2 hours ago...

Only one problem I really need answered so far: How do I wait patiently for 2 more days?! O:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thought of a more serious question:

I was planning on getting parallels VM and Windows 7. Parallels seems convenient if I just need a certain Windows program, but I would think Bootcamp would run windows-based programs (like CAD software) faster / better. If I set up parallels, can I use the same copy of Windows 7 to create a Bootcamp partition or would I need 2 copies of Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You load windows 7 into bootcamp - and then point parallels to the bootcamp partition - so you don't need 2 copies of windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Welcome to the forums. Two days is not that long to wait but if you are having trouble waiting then in the meantime to keep your mind from thinking about it you can learn more about Mac from Apple's website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Welcome to the forums my friend, and welcome to the wonderful world of the Mac, Itoo am still quite new to the Mac OSX, and MBP ownership after migrating from the Windows Environment of a couple of decades, and have not looked back once. Loving it.

OP
C
Reaction score
It came a day early! I'm so excited. Best computer I've owned, and I JUST got it!

You load windows 7 into bootcamp - and then point parallels to the bootcamp partition - so you don't need 2 copies of windows 7.

Thanks! That makes sense.

EDIT::

yet another question: all of my music is in my iTunes library on my PC. What's the easiest way to get the music onto my new mac? I googled it, and most sites said to use an iPod to transfer the music, but all I have is a 16 GB iPhone (and a LOT of music).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have space on an external hard drive then manually transfer all your music to your external hard drive as one massive folder. After that just transfer them over to your Mac and then import them through iTunes.

Snow Leopard can read Windows NTSF drives but they can't write to them in case you already have an external drive for Windows. Since you are just transferring files then you don't really need your Mac to edit the drive. You should get an external hard drive to be used as backup for your Mac though if you don't already have one.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you have space on an external hard drive then manually transfer all your music to your external hard drive as one massive folder. After that just transfer them over to your Mac and then import them through iTunes.

Snow Leopard can read Windows NTSF drives but they can't write to them in case you already have an external drive for Windows. Since you are just transferring files then you don't really need your Mac to edit the drive. You should get an external hard drive to be used as backup for your Mac though if you don't already have one.

Any way to make my existing portable harddrive mac-friendly? If not, I have an extra 1 TB HDD that I'll probably just stick in an enclosure...

...also, what about stuff I've purchased from iTunes? I know those files have a license on them or whatever, so copies won't play. If I set up iTunes on my new mac with my iTunes account, will it recognize music that I bought?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A hard drive can be used either for Mac or Windows. It just depends on how your format them. If you want to use your drive for Mac only then go into Disk Utilities and format the hard drive to Mac Extended Journaled. Both Mac and Windows can use drives that are formatted as FAT32 but you lose the ability to use Time Machine and FAT32 has it's own problems so I personally don't use it unless I have to.

As for the items you bought through iTunes, I believe you just have to authorize your Mac to play the copyrighted files. That's what I had to do back when iTunes music had copyright protection. I think Apple allows you to authorize up to 3 computers but I'm not sure. Even if you reached your limit you can just deauthorize one of your computers that you don't use often.

OP
C
Reaction score
Al debra

Ok, so I authorized my new computer...but all of the music I've bought from iTunes is non-existant. :|

Can't find where iTunes has hidden it on my windows machine, and it's nowhere on my portable hdd. Any way to restore or re-download the songs without buying them again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you haven't transfered your music to your Mac then it won't be there yet. ;) On your Windows machine open up iTunes and in the Preferences go to the Advanced section to see where your music folder is located.

If you still can't find it then do a Windows search for your music folder. Transfer your music folder over to your Mac in the way I described above.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found a handy tool in iTunes that let me back up my iTunes purchases to CD (didn't have many -- only took 2 discs).

So far, thoroughly enjoying my new mac. It runs circles around my old PC, and everything I've done on it -- from playing portal to typing a paper for German class (which is about all I've done so far) -- has been a breeze. I especially love word processing in German. No more fn+Alt+numkeys stuff to get ä, ö, ü, and ß, plus Pages spellchecks in other languages.

:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.