Buying a first gen MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 2.93ghz quad core, iPhone 4, iPad 16gb wifi
I've been a PC user all my life and I have a chance to buy a Macbook Pro with an Intel dual core 1.83ghz processor. It's the first generation Macbook Pro. Upgrades include 2GB of RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM Hard drive, Snow Leopard OS, and a bundle of older software like Adobe CS3, Photoshop and Final cut Pro and MS Office 08. The guy is asking $650 and says it's in good condition. I really want to try a mac, but have limited funds for a new computer. This feels like a good deal as long as the computer is in good shape. My long winded question is what kind of life will this macbook pro have left in it and will it be up to the task of editing high def (avchd) video and moderate photo editing of RAW photos from my Nikon D300?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. You just posted this 2 minutes earlier in the "Switcher" forum. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
looks ok.

Make sure you get all software CDs for the mac (install and application) plus the Adobe CS3, Photoshop and Final cut Pro and MS Office 08 CDs.

your camera will work on the mac with RAW and final cut pro will use avchd but make sure Final Cut Pro is updated to 6.0.1 or above for the AVCHD transfer capabilities

Edit: if you want a new mac, you can try Apple's financial services cause you can get a new 15-inch: 2.66GHz macbook pro for as low as $64.00 a month( they come with 4GB ram and a 500GB HDD standard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Let me also stress the bit about getting all the installation DVD's. These will be invaluable should you need to reinstall the OS. You could always buy the Snow Leopard disks yourself, but why bother if the Mac should come with them. Also make sure the previous owner doesn't have a firmware password on it too.

I work on a first generation MBP for work in addition to my own and it seems to have a lot of life left in it. I would just check out the trackpad and keys because they can get gunked up to the point where it's frustrating to use them.

And as always, get the installation disks for all the applications. It's illegal to have the applications installed without them, plus if you need to reinstall for some reason, you will lose all those lovely programs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback. it comes with the software, but I have never heard of a firmware password so I'll ask about that. Financing is not an option right now, but if I enjoy my mac experience I may upgraded in a couple of years and with the price of these things I may have to go on a payment plan!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by educates

Please do not cross post. You just posted this 2 minutes earlier in the "Switcher" forum. Thank you.

Sorry 'bout that...poor form I know. Just trying to reach as many people with my question as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My long winded question is what kind of life will this macbook pro have left in it and ...

Well, that kind of depends on the use it was subjected to by its previous owner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Meh – a lot of the first generation MacBook and Pros were a bit buggy. We had 2 and both had numerous replacements, a friend went through 3 logic boards on his MBP.

$650 isn't a steal either IMO.

I'd avoid it, save up a bit more and get a new 13" MB or MBP instead. For around $999 it'll offer more performance (especially with those new graphics chips), much better battery life and nice new features like the glass trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed with the above. The new MBs look really shmiko. If you can save up for one of those I'd recommend it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input...I'm now thinking about waiting and going with a new or refurb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.