missing space on external lacie disk

Reaction score
hey there,

so i have an external hard drive and it was running out of space so i deleted a few time machine backups but i hardly got any of the space back as available space. What's going on?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
How did you delete " a few " time machine backups ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Don't know for sure, but older backups should be deleted from within Time Machine.
That is to say that TM will do this automatically, but you can do it manually as well.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
D
Reaction score
still can't get the space back. tried using disk inventory and i don't even see where the missing space has gone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With the external disk still attached to your machine, did you empty the Trash?

I know it sounds simplistic, but time and again folks delete data from their external disk, eject the disk, then later on empty the trash. That doesn't do anything.... the drive must be mounted before the trash is removed. The trash folder on your external hard drive is hidden which is why you can't see it nor any of the files in it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.