Probably Simple, Common G4 Problem, Requesting Help!

H

hmslc2

Hi --

I'd consider myself a seasoned Mac veteran: I used them for video editing in college and made the switch in '02 to a dual 867 powermac G4 w/ superdrive to replace the aging Dell-for-high-school-graduation computer. Here's my problem, though:

My computer freezes, A LOT. I can't leave it for over two hours with a basic screensaver or it will freeze. Is it time for a new computer? Though I'd love to use it as an excuse to get a new powerbook, I still can't afford them.

Things to consider:

-I'm still running Jaguar
-Software Update always "unexpectedly quits" when I run it; the software never actually gets updated
-I don't have applecare plan, it expired a while ago. will they even help?

Plase help if you can.

Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would download the combo update of whatever version of jaguar you are using. Install it and run repair permission. Some time the combo update will resolve some problems. Since your software update is aborting, hopefully this will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if software update won't run, you can manually download the updates as rman suggested, and repair permissions. what version of jaguar are you using, and how much ram do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you should be able to repair permissions either by booting from the jaguar install disc 1, and clicking Installer>Open Disk Utility, or use disk utility in utilities folder in applications folder, select your drive in the column on the left, then click repair permissions, let it run, and restart after its done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.