home share

Reaction score
When I try to enable home share on my wifes mac, I get the message which says that there are more than 5 users already connected. This isnt possible as there is only 2 macs in the house and no one has ever connected to our network before.
How do I find out what/who these 5 users are ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Hmm good question... If I recall correctly there used to be a menu item to deauthorize ALL computers (so you could also deauth Macs/PCs you did not have access to). I can't seem to find that anymore, though... Any ideas anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I try to enable home share on my wifes mac, I get the message which says that there are more than 5 users already connected. This isnt possible as there is only 2 macs in the house and no one has ever connected to our network before.
How do I find out what/who these 5 users are ?

Using wireless? If so, is your signal encrypted using the strongest method possible - WPA2? You may have some unwelcome "guests" riding piggy back on your signal. Take a look in your Finder's sidebar to see if any other networks or unfamiliar names are showing up. And setup your sharing selectively for your home network only.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Using wireless? If so, is your signal encrypted using the strongest method possible - WPA2? You may have some unwelcome "guests" riding piggy back on your signal.

Isn't that impossible, seeing the fact that you have to enter your iTunes account info in order to enable home sharing on a certain computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Is the OP talking about home share with itunes or home share a computer. 5 computers does sound like the itunes limit.

If it is itunes - I believe you have to go to the store - and log into your account - go to account info. I believe once you are in that screen there should be a button to deauthorize all computers.

If it is a filesystem - open a terminal - go to the directory that has too many connections and type
fuser -fu <name of file or directory>
That will tell you who and what process ID are accessing the file/directory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.