Quicktime Player (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Why can't I open quicktime email attachments... I do have Quicktime Player... what else do I need, to make it work? Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So it's a video attachment to an email and you want it to open with QuickTime? When you click on the attachment or download it and try to play it, does it play with some other media player i.e. iTunes? You might just have to make QuickTime your default player for those movie types. Right-click on the file and choose "Open With" then select QuickTime.

When you look in your Applications folder, do you have QuickTime in there? It could also be a matter of downloading it from Apple's site if you somehow deleted/removed it.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
It is a video, come as a QuickTime attachment, and will not open...I do have QuickTime Payer... "...is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands" Other thoughts? Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Oh, I see.
Is there any way to determine what type of file it is?
There is Flip4Mac a free download that will allow you to play windows movie player movies with QuickTime. And there are various other free media players that play almost any movie/video type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It's probably not a QuickTime video format. My guess is that your computer is just choosing to open it with QuickTime because that is your default video player. Try right-clicking the video or ctrl click the file and go to Get Info.

In the name & extension section it probably says it's .avi or some other format because .mov or .qt are QuickTime formats.

Try downloading the VideoLan player. It can play just about any type of video format.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
"Note: Owing to the forementioned shortage of developers, VLC will not be available for 64-bits Intel-based Macs until further notice. You can safely use the 32-bits package instead."

It doesn't tell me what type of file it is, and right clicking doesn't get me anywhere :(

Pete

Edit - I downloaded "Flip4Mac" it worked! Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
That message just means that you won't be able to take advantage of the 64-bit benefits. Unless you boot into 64-bit Mac OS which I'm guessing you are not unless you are an advanced user then the 32-bit will be okay (Snow Leopard defaults to 32-bit unless you change it). The average user like yourself won't notice a difference. I use VideoLan myself.

I'm glad Flip4Mac worked for you. The nice thing I like about VideoLan is that it will play just about any type of video file format so there is almost no need to use another video player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just check for the future - there should be Quick Time 7 in the Applications/Utilities folder which will sometimes do what Quicktime X will not - depending on file type.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since you're just getting around to installing Flip4Mac to play windows media files, am guessing you probably don't have Perian either. Perian will allow you to play just about every other codec in Quicktime.

Between Flip4Mac, Perian and VLC; you'll be able to play practically anything you run across in your normal travels around the machine.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I've just installed "Perian". Thanks all, much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.