image icons not displaying...

Reaction score
Hi all. In the last day or two, my mac hasn't been displaying my image file icons properly. It used to show a mini version of the image as the icon, but now displays as in the screenshot below...

Picture1.png

Now, the only way it displays properly is after I've saved it as a photoshop file or something similar.

What have I done, and how do I change it back?

Many thanks in advance,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
What about files that are in different format than .png?

OP
T
Reaction score
My jpgs and cr2 RAW files are the same. Once I've saved them through Photoshop though, they show up fine. All my previously edited ones are ok too, it's just the basic untouched files that are affected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In Show View Options, is Show icon preview checked? If it is, uncheck it.

OP
T
Reaction score
It was checked, but when i unchecked it, all icons went, including the ones that were ok before... Thanks for the reply

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
show icon preview should be checked, that's what makes the icons look like the file itself :) you could try relaunching Finder if nothing happends

tom, what do you mean by basic images? those would be images you download from the web or off a camera? then when you edit them and save, the icon changes?

OP
T
Reaction score
By basic, I mean anything that I haven't touched in Photoshop. Anything I save as either a jpg or psd through photoshop seems to view fine. If I take it straight off the camera, I don't see the icon.

Does Adobe have a different way of saving file types?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well, it is possible that photoshop saves a thumbnail along with the file ... but i don't have any basis for this, just a punch into the dark

wouldn't explain why your icons previews don't display all of a sudden

the only setting I know of that has something to do with icon preview is what toMACsh suggested, although I think it should be checked to see those images ... can differ depending on OS version ... hope you find out what's the cause of this, let us know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It was checked, but when i unchecked it, all icons went, including the ones that were ok before... Thanks for the reply

Well, my experience is slightly different. With that box checked, all my Word and Excel file icons are gray. With it unchecked, the Word icons are blue, and Excel green. So I thought that might help in your situation, and I figured it was a painless experiment. Too bad it didn't work.

My next suspect would be the Finder's plist file. Do you already know that drill?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.