could not find PPPoE server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac10.1 OS 10.6.3
I’m having problem with PPPoE, on my husband’s computer. He has an iMac purchased in December of 2006. I’m getting the message “could not find PPPoE server.” We recently changed from using Airport Express to CISCO’s Linksys E2000. We had this problem prior to this time (the message popping up) but not to the extent we have it now. It is popping up so much it has become quite annoying. I am connected to the internet in spite of the message.

I talked to my internet provider and he said it was a MAC problem, no help there. I called MAC today, my extended service has run out and MAC’s support implied that the computer was old and he could run me through some settings but it would cost me and he doubted it would be any help.

Prior to going to WiFi about a year and a half ago we were connected through 2wire modem DSL. Today I went to preferences and tried to turn off ethernet didn’t work. The cable was still plugged in, but no longer connected to modem, just connected to the computer so I unplugged it, didn’t make any difference. In system preference eithernet keeps trying to connect, even though the green light is on for Airport and says “connected,” which it is. My husband’s iMac is OS 10.5.8.

I’ve read the response posted Jan, 2008 but there doesn’t seem to be help there.

How can I turn off Ethernet or stop the message?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Go to your Network Prefs > Built-In Ethernet > PPOoE and see if Connect using PPoE is checked. If it is, uncheck it, see if that takes out the annoying message.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac10.1 OS 10.6.3
PPPoE problem

thanks HUGHVANE, I've tried to find "Connect using PPoE" and can't find it. I did go to PPPoE advance and found several drop down menus and checked them all and only one seemed useful was the dropped down menu PPP and I unchecked everything under there. Still have the problem. ANy other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.