Essential Apps

T

Tel

Ok, I've not long got back from holiday and I've decided that my Mac needs a little more customization. About the only 3rd party app I'm running is Adium.
So the question is, what apps do you use? I'm looking for apps to customise things etc.

Please state what the app is, what it does and where you got it from :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
first off, let me just say that its not a good idea to go nuts with third party apps, they can cause many problems, some worse than others. as far as customization, shapeshifter, candy bar are good. menu meters, you control desktops, clear dock, speed download, renamer4mac, findericoncm, there are tons and tons of apps, just depends what you want to do.

OP
T

Tel

I'm not really planning on going nuts don't worry, and I'm not sure exactly what it is I want to do because I'm not sure exactly what I can do with my Mac, this thread is to help me figure that out.

Thanks for the info too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
o, in that case, I probably don't need to say that you can do ANYTHING with your mac. I do all sorts of stuff here, graphic design, web design, audio and video editing, make backups of movies, make music, chat, I am very creative on my mac.

OP
T

Tel

Macman said:
o, in that case, I probably don't need to say that you can do ANYTHING with your mac. I do all sorts of stuff here, graphic design, web design, audio and video editing, make backups of movies, make music, chat, I am very creative on my mac.

I know that much :p I just meant customization stuff. All I use my Mac for at the moment is my music, photography, photoshop, web browsing and chat.

I mist say though, when it comes to running iPhoto with about a zillion windows open and trying to edit another zillion things in photoshop my Mac does nothing but supprise me, it runs rings around my old PC, and that was a 2Ghz P4!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
ooh boy, I went crazy with 3rd party apps, as long as they are well known and highly rated, I dont see a problem......my top ones:

Shapeshifer.
Silk.
Synergy
WindowshadeX
Growl
Menu Meters
Mighty Mouse
Bullseye
Konfabulator (if your running panther)
Adium
Camino
OnyX
DragonBurn
VLC

Those are the ones we have installed and paid for full versions where applicable, I have others that I use less frequently or am not as excited about, but that list is the ones I highly recommend, and use constantly.

Reaction score
Synergy, Synk, SuperDuper!, and OnyX are my favorites.

Delicious Library is another excellent application for organizing your media (DVD's, games, etc). I would highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
Customisation-wise, you'll want to check out unsanity.com for some really good options on appearance. You can apply totally new skins with ShapeShifter, change the appearance of the dock with ClearDock, get new mouse cursors with MightyMouse (although I had a look around and all the custom mouses I could find were horrible...), and more. Personally, the OSX aqua look with a nice wallpaper suits me fine though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.