Anybody try KDE on Snow Leopard yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I used macports to get and install the KDE package and it wrecked my IMac. It didn't total it, but Perl would no longer work, as wouldn't Ruby. X11 would give weird symptoms when a Unix script started a GUI program.

After a long couple of hours of trying to get all the pointers back, I gave up and did a full SuperDuper restore. Fortunately, I had followed my custom of always making a full backup just before any major updates.

I really like some of the KDE apps and would like to run them but until I can get a tester Mac, I won't try again.

Just wondered if anybody on here has it running?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I tried compiling it a long time ago and while it compiled, most of the apps didn't run despite following the instructions perfectly. I'm really hoping the the KDE Mac team can create an installer that is similar to the one used for installing KDE apps on Windows.

I'm not sure why your OS X install was ruined. Did you follow the instructions perfectly? Now, to be fair, you could be right about MacPorts and KDE - I don't use Ruby, Perl or X11 so they may have been ruined.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Actually, there were few instructions to follow. I just used the normal "sudo port install kde" as it said in the article(s). And after looking at the log, everything compiled and installed without error. However, all the forum posters had installed it on Leopard or previous versions. I expect the fact that I have Snow Leopard accounts for the mess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.