Dual Cinema Displays. Turn both off at once?

Reaction score
I have 2 Apple Cinema Displays. They are side-by-side so it is very inconvenient to turn the left display OFF. I have to move it over to get my finger to touch the power button, which is located on the right side of the monitors, then move it back to where it was originally. I want to turn both OFF/ON at the same time.

I am just wondering, is there a way that I can link the 2 together to turn OFF/ON just by touching the power button on the right-hand-side monitor? Maybe a software that allows me to connect them via usb so they communicate? I have no clue.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Why power them down at all? The energy saver mode on most computer monitors has most of them using an almost incosequential amount of energy vs powering down. Hardly worth the effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Or you could buy a switched 4 outlet power board and control them there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Why power them down at all? The energy saver mode on most computer monitors has most of them using an almost incosequential amount of energy vs powering down. Hardly worth the effort.

My office has frequently visited people, and I tend to leave the office momentarily throughout the day. I wouldn't want anyone snooping around on my comp because they see something interesting. I just want the option of turning both off whenever the need arises.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A blank password protected screensaver would be a lot easier and set up a hot corner to activate it when you walk away. That way you don't need to set it up to come on at any specific time interval.

Otherwise, a power strip is probably going to be the next easiest way - but just another ugly thing cluttering up the desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
My office has frequently visited people, and I tend to leave the office momentarily throughout the day. I wouldn't want anyone snooping around on my comp because they see something interesting. I just want the option of turning both off whenever the need arises.
There's a "put displays to sleep" Hot corner you can configure. Then just drag your mouse to a corner and you're done.

OP
B
Reaction score
There's a "put displays to sleep" Hot corner you can configure. Then just drag your mouse to a corner and you're done.

Nice, this seems the best option. And then the login window appears once the mouse is moved and the screens are back on. PERFECT!!!

Thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.