MacBook Pro won't shut down or restart

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new MacBook Pro (1 month old) and it won't shut down or restart unless I hold the power button down and force it to. It starts up normally but I'm concerned about forcing shut down long term as it might cause damage.

When I try to shut it down through normal channels, the screen goes blue and the little wheel thing spins but it never actually shuts down - I've even left it overnight and the thing was still spinning in the morning!

Can anyone help? I'm new to Macs so it could be something obvious that I don't know about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. How bout downloading and installing this - it may straighten things out for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A month old MBP should not be exhibiting that kind of behavior. You can try the combined update as Collin suggests, but if that doesn't work, take it on in to Apple and have it looked at. The machine is still under warranty.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.