question macbook pro warranty issue

Reaction score
currently, i bought mid 2009 of macbook pro from ebay. previous owner spilled beer on the mac and he went serviced once, and then they said logic board has been damaged. currently, this mac book does not turn it on(power on) at all. but i disassembled every parts and cleaned. i bought this macbook from canadian previous owner, also still under warranty until SEP,2010. so i want trying to visit genious bar but spill liquid damage does not cover by warranty. Canadian guys serviced once at Canada. So do you guys think U.S Apple have record of visit history even canada? if not im going to to visit and trying to some suitable excuse to them replacement logic board what do you guys think?
give me some advice that how can i repair to under warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
There is no way to repair water or physical damage under warranty, and if you disassembled the computer to bits then you probably voided some warranty seals as well.

If I can ask, why would you willingly buy a computer from ebay, that you know cannot be repaired under warranty?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And what you're even suggesting is dishonest. The techs at Apple are no fools; they'll spot liquid damage immediately. Unless you bought that machine on ebay for a super bargain, it looks like you're out what you spent.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
You wont be able to hide the liquid damage, you will already see corrosion on some of the circuits so you would have to clean all that corrosion off and when you did that you would then have metal that was too clean. So in trying to hid the fact that it was liquid damaged you are wasting your time.

As for fixing it, yes you can get new or used logic boards and fix it. BUT before you even start down that road realize that if you've never seen the machine actually turn on you have no idea of how bad the damage was. It is entirely possible that the liquid also jacked up other things, like the dvd drive... hard drive... mag power board... even the lcd could bee messed up.

So realize that you are going to likely spend more money than the cost of a logic board to fix it. I would expect that by the time you are finished fixing it you could easily have spent more money than you would have on buying a refurbished one from Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So realize that you are going to likely spend more money than the cost of a logic board to fix it. I would expect that by the time you are finished fixing it you could easily have spent more money than you would have on buying a refurbished one from Apple.

All the above is right on target. Another good reason why I try to advise folks to stay away from purchasing a computer on eBay. Again, yes, there are good deals to be found there but it's a gamble and you could wind up throwing away money on a "white elephant".

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
this case isn't about a gamble not paying off, the OP actually bought a computer they knew to be broken with voided warranty and thought they could be smarter then the ebay seller ... guess what, you just made the seller very very happy with themselves :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
After thinking about this a bit longer. There is one other problem you will face. If you buy the parts to fix your machine and IF you get it running you will still have a computer that was entered into the system as having liquid damages and it would thus have no warranty.

I don't think you can depend on the Apple computer in Canada not being in sync with the Apple warranty tracking in the US. I would suspect they are all entered into the same database.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
replacing the logic board is bound to void warranty ... as far as I know anything but upgrading ram or hdd voids your warranty

anyway, looks like the OP isn't even reading this post, probably took it as flaming from us :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.