Some odd files found; important or trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Hey all,

When I was cleaning up some files from my harddisk, i found a few odd files located on my disc (root location, or whatever you call that). Inspecting them with CMD-I tells me that all of them have been created on May 4th and although I did install programs in the past weeks, I do not recall adding anything on that particular date. Maybe some OS updates? The second odd thing is that all files, apart from one have not been updated since (one was last modified May 9th, though)

All files are said to be ZERO KB (Zero Bytes) in size, and the names are the following:
=0
blah
(Especially that last one worries me a bit.)

Anyone who has any advice... can I safely remove these files, are they in use by any program or Snow Leopard itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
By "root location or whatever" you mean the home directory or the actual root / location?

I think it should be safe to remove in any case though, nothing used by the OS would be saved in such a way, it's probably some config files of one of your applications, or even just some sort of a temporary dump

Safe to say, it's not related to Snow Leopard

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By root location I mean the location where you end up if you would open a Finder window by clicking on the OSX-harddisk icon on your desktop. (The icon below the Spotlight corner, by default). I suppose this would be the Mac equivalent for Windows' c:/? This is not the home directory, since that is the directory with my username attached to it, right? (Sorry, still rather new in the terminology business.)

The files do not appear as if they are being used by anything, seeing they have no extension and are recognised as plain, empty Documents.

Anyway, thats enough confirmation for me to delete them. If anything stops working, I'll still have my Time Machine backups I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
if you have a proper backup, then you have nothing to worry about ... although I doubt anything will go wrong by deleting these files :)

and I think you got it right with root and home ;)
root is the very topmost directory - /
home is your user dir - with all those Documents, Downloads and Movies (along with a bunch of hidden stuff) - /Users/user_name

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks for clearing all that up. So far everything still works... we'll see ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.