Formatting an external disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am slowly getting used to my shiny new iMac. I want to get a 1 Tb external HDD and partition it so that I can format one partition for Time Machine and the other for backups for my Microsoft laptop.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this? I would assume that the Mac would look at the partitions as separate drives, but I'm not totally sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Yes it's quite easy to partition an external drive - use Disk Utility (comes with MacOS)

Creating 2 partitions with different filesystems is no problem at all and yes, it will mount as 2 seperate drives

Reaction score
It is possible to create two partitions for your needs.
Make a HPFS+ file system partition for your TimeMachine backups, or even create a
partition without formatting it - the first time you select this logic drive for TimeMachine it will properly format it.
The second one you will have to format in NTFS to work properly with Windows machines.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thanks guys! That is how I thought it would be, but good to be sure.

Now off to Amazon to spend some more of me pension!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Keep in mind that if you do format one partition to NTFS then you will need to use a 3rd party driver to have write permissions to that partition from Mac OS. Not sure if you even need to be able to access it, just thought I could mention that.

You can use NTFS-3G ... discussed many many times even on these forums :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Snow Leopard has native r/w support for NTFS partitions/drives. Take a look at this. You have to do some work with the Terminal but it's there. This is of course irrelevant if you don't want write support for the NTFS partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Snow Leopard has native r/w support for NTFS partitions/drives. Take a look at this. You have to do some work with the Terminal but it's there. This is of course irrelevant if you don't want write support for the NTFS partition.

Hey van :) do you have any personal experience with the SL r/w capabilities of NTFS partitions/drives? I always seemed to use 3rd party drivers for some reason, however nor NTFS3G or Paragon support 64bit kernel, so it's a bit of a hassle. I guess I will give this a try again

3rd party software might still be the way to go for externals, since it looks like fstab needs to be edited by the disk UUID ... anyway tnx for bringing it up :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really don't even have to turn on the NTFS R/W capability of Snow Leopard from the terminal. This handy small free app does it all for you. LINK to "NTFS Mounter" Been using it ever since Snow Leopard came out. Works great.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.