newbie network issue

Reaction score
I have a small home network. I have PPC G4 wired to a 1st GEN TC. I also have a iMac in another room that connects to the network with Airport. My son has a PC netbook that also connects wirelessly to the TC.

Both the netbook and the iMac connect wirelessly and seem to operate at reasonable speeds. I tested them at speedtest.net and they are both around 3.25MB download, 0.55MB upload and 53ms ping. They both seem reasonable and serve our web surfing purposes.

The G4 is wired to the TC in the bedroom. On the same speedtest.net literally minutes after testing the other computers, it registered 6.05MB download, 0.52MB upload and 81ms ping.

Although I am using Google Chrome on the 2 wireless computers and they are newer, I am suprised at the numbers that came back for the G4 running either Safari or Firefox.

The problem I have is that even though the numbers say the G4 should be faster, in use, it takes a v e r y l o n g t i m e to load any webpage and forget about streaming any video.

What can I do to boost the performance of the G4? I have had it up and running for a few months and it was not this slow when I first set it up. The whole reason I got it was to replace an old PC that was also very slow.

Is is possible that the TC could be the problem?

Thank you for any and all support. You are great on this forum. I really appreciate your help.

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.