My Mac Can't Connect to My Scanner, Please Help!

E

etorres769

Okay well this is the first time I try to use it, but then I looked up the problem on HP.com. This is what it gave me:

ISSUE:

Any Macintosh system that does not have native USB (such as a Beige G3 tower) may experience connectivity issues with HP Scanjet Scanners, Photosmart Digital Cameras and printers.
SOLUTION:

If running Mac OS X, please ensure that the latest version of the third-party USB PCI driver is installed on the Mac.

CAUSE:

With Macintosh systems that do not have native USB, a USB PCI card is the only option to connect USB scanners, cameras and printers. Hewlett-Packard does not fully support these products if connected to a USB PCI card. As a result, support offered through third-party USB PCI cards is on a 'best effort' basis.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Do you need anymore information to accomplish this? I thank you in advance and really appreciate your help!

Eddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you have a Mac mini, then this isn't your problem. This issue affects older macs (1998 or older) that don't have built-in USB.

OP
E

etorres769

technologist said:
If you have a Mac mini, then this isn't your problem. This issue affects older macs (1998 or older) that don't have built-in USB.

I hope it's not my scanner...

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
etorres769 said:
Tried it as well. It looks like my scanner is dead. :eek:neye:

A few more details would be nice, i.e which scanner are you using and are you plugging it in via a hub or directly into the Mini or even into the keyboard (assuming you have an Apple keyboard).

Does the scanner show up on the "about" page under USB devices?

What software are you trying to use with the scanner?

Amen-Moses

OP
J

jenniferpeace

I am having the exact same problem. I have a new mac mini running tiger os X. I cannot set up my HP Scanjet 4400C. There are no drivers for OS X and HP gives me this message (which I don't understand!). Thank you for your help

"Be sure you have the latest version of the third-party USB PCI driver is installed on the Mac."

Amen-Moses said:
A few more details would be nice, i.e which scanner are you using and are you plugging it in via a hub or directly into the Mini or even into the keyboard (assuming you have an Apple keyboard).

Does the scanner show up on the "about" page under USB devices?

What software are you trying to use with the scanner?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
jenniferpeace said:
I am having the exact same problem. I have a new mac mini running tiger os X. I cannot set up my HP Scanjet 4400C. There are no drivers for OS X and HP gives me this message (which I don't understand!). Thank you for your help

"Be sure you have the latest version of the third-party USB PCI driver is installed on the Mac."

HP use a proprietary interface for their scanners so unless they bring out a specific driver for it (or tell us what the interface is) you are pretty much out of luck.

As scanners are so cheap your best bet would be to buy a new one that advertises that it works with OSX.

Strangely enough HP have OS X drivers for almost all their scanners except the 4400 and 4700, were they cheap scanners usually given away with PCs or something?

You could try finding a Linux solution and porting it to OS X but that will probably be more than just a re-compile otherwise someone would have already done it.

Amen-Moses

OP
J

jenniferpeace

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure why this specific scanner doesn't have the drivers - it was about $100 when I bought it and it didn't come with the computer. Oh well...any advice on an inexpensive but competent scanner? Thanks again :)

Amen-Moses said:
HP use a proprietary interface for their scanners so unless they bring out a specific driver for it (or tell us what the interface is) you are pretty much out of luck.

As scanners are so cheap your best bet would be to buy a new one that advertises that it works with OSX.

Strangely enough HP have OS X drivers for almost all their scanners except the 4400 and 4700, were they cheap scanners usually given away with PCs or something?

You could try finding a Linux solution and porting it to OS X but that will probably be more than just a re-compile otherwise someone would have already done it.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.