Computer tool?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm looking for the name of this specific computer tool, it's a plastic wedge sort of tool that are recommended for opening the Macbooks and ipods. I'm in need of one because my sister's ipod touch fell in the toilet, and it's pretty water-logged. So what's this tool called?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's called a "Spudger" and you can buy a set from the guys at the ifixit web site. LINK

BTW, you don't need a Spudger to open an iPod if you're careful. I just serviced an older iPod Mini without using one. What I did was use an Exacto razor blade to gently break through the seal around the top and bottom of the iPod. Then use a small screwdriver to wedge around and push the top off. Same with the bottom. Top and bottom have a sticky but removable glue as a seal to keep them in place.

Anyway, just follow the guides on the ifixit site and good luck with the repair.

Regards.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
It's called a "Spudger" and you can buy a set from the guys at the ifixit web site. LINK

BTW, you don't need a Spudger to open an iPod if you're careful. I just serviced an older iPod Mini without using one. What I did was use an Exacto razor blade to gently break through the seal around the top and bottom of the iPod. Then use a small screwdriver to wedge around and push the top off. Same with the bottom. Top and bottom have a sticky but removable glue as a seal to keep them in place.

Anyway, just follow the guides on the ifixit site and good luck with the repair.

Regards.

Thanks, I'll take a look at ifixit. Hers is the newest ipod touch, and I don't know if you should bother opening it up, and make up a story of the Apple store to see if they take it, or open it up and try to clean it up, then take it into them. It has been water-logged for about a few days now, she has been out of state and I haven't been able to get it from her until today. So what would you do in my position, like is there something I could do to fix it? One thing she's worried about is getting the apps and music she bought directly on there that aren't on our computer at home.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For sure your local Apple store will charge for any repairs. It's too bad because it's the newest Touch. All I can suggest is go to the ifixit web site and follow the step by step to open it up and see what you can do.

It's possible you can get it running again after drying it out for several days. Once opened and exposed to the warm air, it should dry out quickly. There's probably going to be some damage to moving parts but the flash memory might be OK. If the flash memory is OK, she can get her music and other files off it by using a flash memory card reader. Good luck with it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.