iBook G4 upgrade challenge

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife has an old iBook G4, broken optical drive and no wireless card. The challenge:
- get wireless internet access (via USB)
- update software (this lap top does not meet snow leopard minimum requirements so I don't mean that - I have completed the software update successfully too but Safari still has some minor shortfalls e.g. not able to manage my fantasy football team)
- other suggestions that are FUN!:D:D

The build of this laptop is amazing, and it surfs the net better than my new work PC. This is more of a fun project do I don't throw it out but I am more of a PC boffin so i came here for help. If we can't get much out of it I'll turn it into a jukebox for the shed or something!

Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing you probably need to do is either get a new optical drive for the iBook or maybe an inexpensive external. The iBook is not going to be able to boot from an external USB drive so any external drive you buy should be firewire.

Some of the more experienced iBook G4 users in this forum have stated that getting USB wireless to work with the iBook is difficult. You might have to go with an internal card. Anyway, have fun restoring it and if you have any questions, post them in the notebook forum.

(I'll move this thread there.)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.