Running a BZ2 file?

Reaction score
Hi folks!

So I accidentally deleted a whole bunch of pictures from my camera. Thus, I'm trying to run TestDisk to recover them, but whenever I do, I apparently need to run the Stuffit Expander. I do this, and this is a screenshot of the results.

34803003.png

I'm not a genius with computers, so I have no idea what to do from this point on? I'm not supposed to take any more pictures with the camera until I recover them, and since I'm currently in Japan (and want to take pictures) I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Your help would be much appreciated!
Kailene

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That looks to be a command line application. To use it, do the following.

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
2. Open Finder to the location of the files.
3. Type cd and push space.
3. In Finder, click and hold the folder next to the name of the folder in the title bar. Drag it to the Terminal. So, in your case, click and drag the little folder in the title bar next to "testdisk-6.12-WIP 3" to the Terminal.
4. You should now see cd <directory to testdisk> (<directory to testdisk> being the directory of the test disk files of course). Press enter.
5. Now, type ./testdisk and press enter. This will execute the testdisk program.

I would suggest you take a look at the documentation on their website and look at the README included in the archive.

On an aside, a bz2 file is an archive, much like a zip file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.