switching to MBP, will i really need 8gb RAM?

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a MBP, and I'm debating if I really need the 8gb ram or maybe 4 is sufficient? Or would it be better to just get 4 and then upgrade later?

Plans for my MBP include:

1. Adobe CS - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom (minimum)
2. Lots of photography (so I'll probably be editing numerous pics simultaneously) and also digital art
3. Steam (prob TF2 and L4D primarily), not a hardcore gamer
4. Boot Camp with Windows 7
5. Video editing unlikely

I'm going off the base config with the 15 in, 2.66 GHz i7, and will definitely be upgrading the HDD to 7200 rpm. Its pretty unlikely that i'll be running Adobe and Steam at the same time or anything.

I'm completely inexperienced with manually tinkering my computer, though, so I dont know how I feel about doing an upgrade myself, and dont want to spend money to have someone else do it unless its insanely cheap.

Opinions will be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first Mac!

Thanks all!

Reaction score
I do a lot of photoshop and illustrator work on my macbook pro (currently cs4, but plan to upgrade this summer to cs5) and I have never come close to using the 4 gigs of ram that I have had on my last couple of macbook pros. As you will see from my signature, I bought the macbookpro model you are considering, and am quite happy with 4 gb of ram.

For me, its a matter of having the higher level of discrete graphics memory (512mb) that makes the difference. I am finding that the faster processor on the new macbook pros is also helping me avoid hangs in photoshop. (I upgraded from an early 2008 model macbookpro)

If you are going to have all of the adobe products open simultaneously and transfer things back and forth in bridge all the time, then you might use the extra ram, but just working on multiple objects in photoshop shouldn't tax you at 4 gb. Apple ram is really expensive compared to what that ram will cost you if you buy it later and have someone put it in for you. I know you said you don't like to do that, but it will save you a couple hundred dollars to do it that way.

Remember, unless you are running a 64 bit version of Windows 7, your computer will not take advantage of the extra memory anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Remember, unless you are running a 64 bit version of Windows 7, your computer will not take advantage of the extra memory anyway.

Actually.. this is not true. Adobe CS5 and Lightroom 2 both run in 64 bit mode. Very simply, this means that if he does indeed go with 8 gigs of RAM, those programs will utilize it very efficiently and he certainly WILL see a difference in speed in every way when using those programs.

Only one word of warning. Do NOT get the RAM directly from Apple. Get the bare minimum of RAM which comes with the configuration you want (meaning the processor you want) and upgrade the RAM yourself. Buy from either Newegg.com OWC and save a ton of money.

Doug

Reaction score
Actually.. this is not true. Adobe CS5 and Lightroom 2 both run in 64 bit mode. Very simply, this means that if he does indeed go with 8 gigs of RAM, those programs will utilize it very efficiently and he certainly WILL see a difference in speed in every way when using those programs.

Only one word of warning. Do NOT get the RAM directly from Apple. Get the bare minimum of RAM which comes with the configuration you want (meaning the processor you want) and upgrade the RAM yourself. Buy from either Newegg.com OWC and save a ton of money.

Doug

I'm sorry my original post was confusing. I was only referring to the windows 7 application, not the adobe apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz 13" Mbp 8gb ram 500gb hardrive

Doug

I always hear its cheaper to do it this way, but when i ordered mine i looked into it, and there wasnt much differance to do it with apple. But that was also with a student discount but still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
You hit the nail on the head by hypothetically getting four and going from there. When you get your system, play around with it and see how it responds. If you desire more RAM, I suggest OWC. Many regard them as having the best RAM around for a good price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.