General Mac question

Reaction score
First, let me state that I worked on Macs for years, but it's been about 3 years since I last used one. My current computers at both home and work are PCs.

I "inherited" a basically never-used Mac. I am too lazy to go upstairs at the moment and see what it is, but I think it's a G4(??). Anyway, it was purchased maybe around 2000 or so; I got it in 2007, but have never used it for anything.

I want to get back to using some Mac software -- Adobe Illustrator, for one, plus I'd like to play around with some music creation/editing software. My question is this: Am I better off getting a brand-new Mac, or is this older version still usable with new software?

Reaction score
get new
all the newer software for apple use intel, the older doesnt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
hard to tell you if it's worth getting a new computer if you can't be bothered to check out what you actually have ;)

but I would agree with iNAP, better to use an Intel Mac instead of a G4

However, Illustrator is not a Mac-Only app; and there is music software for Windows ... just a comment.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The new version of Illustrator is Intel only (see here) so you won't be able to use CS5. Care to provide us with some system specs so we can point you in the right direction?

Reaction score
Being you have that old Mac just sitting around when theres someone whom could really use it. Give it to someone. The battery will be dead buy now. And the HD has not be spun up...it may not boot up....See people this is how I find good Macs on the curb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
old Mac just sitting around ... Give it to someone ... See people this is how I find good Macs on the curb.

Believe this man!

G4 will run PShop, Illustrator, and numerous other graphic-intensive applications, providing there's sufficient RAM. Don't expect lightning speeds, if that's what the OP is after.

G4 Macs will also run a truckload of other applications successfully - it all depends on what's wanted.

Get us the details of that "basically never-used Mac".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you can always sell it on ebay :-D but if it's just sitting around and you might have a use for it, then why not use it :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
CS4 or lower is the only version that will run on your G4. The newer version is Intel only. >_<"

OP
S
Reaction score
CS4 or lower is the only version that will run on your G4. The newer version is Intel only. >_<"

Awesome -- this is what I was looking for. I'll see if I can find something cheap on ebay so I can play with it, and go from there.

The Mac does work, although it's now probably been a year since I started it up. I'll have to check it again.

My grandparents bought it several years ago. They were in their 80s, and it was their first and only computer. My grandfather paid for some dude to come out and give them lessons in how to use it, but he didn't really understand that you can't geek out to 80-year-old people and have them comprehend what you're talking about. So they never used it for anything. When my grandfather died, I got the computer, but because I have only ever used Macs at work, I never purchased any software for it. I use my home computer a lot, and it's a PC, so it's not like I could transfer all my files and software to the Mac.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are the specs of your G4? Especially in terms of resource-intensive apps like CS, it will help us with determining the best version for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Honestly, it depends on your needs. Do you want the constantly newest software versions to be run on your computer, or can you make do with some of the older stuff? If you don't need the newest versions, then a G4 will work. While intel processors can do a lot more, G4 computers don't stop working just because Apple has switched to Intel chips. The choice, of course, is yours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.